Big Buck Certification Program
WV BIG BUCK Certification Program RULES
Effective September 1, 2009, the guidelines for the annual West Virginia Big Buck Contest will be as follows:
- Deer must be checked at an official WV Game Checking Station during the current year’s seasons and the official West Virginia game tag must be attached to the head.
- There shall be a Typical and Non-typical category for Gun, Muzzleloader, Bow and Crossbow. (The Crossbow categories are for physically challenged holders of a Class Y Crossbow Permit only). Minimum scores eligible for the contest are 140 Typical or 165 Non-typical with the Gun or Muzzleloader, and 125 Typical or 155 Non-typical with the Bow or Crossbow. Gun, Muzzleloader and crossbow killed bucks will be scored by Boone and Crockett Club standards. Bow killed bucks will be scored by Pope and Young Club Standards. All bucks entered must be scored by an official measurer approved by the Boone and Crockett Club or Pope and Young Club. All entries that meet minimum requirements shall receive a Certificate. Winners of each category shall receive a commemorative plaque at the National Hunting and Fishing Day celebration held the last week of September at Stonewall Jackson State Park.
- A fair chase affidavit on or attached to the official score sheet must be signed by the hunter.
- New state record entries cannot be officially scored until at least 60 days after date of Kill. Field photos of the freshly killed deer with antlers attached must be submitted with state record entries at the time of scoring. All new state record entries must be submitted for panel scoring by at least 2 official measurers before final entry into the Records.
- The Review Committee appointed by the Director of the WV Division of Natural Resources will review all deer entries. The Review Committee has the power to make judgment and either remove, reject or accept any entry in question. Any individual whose previous Big Buck Contest entry has been disqualified by the Review Committee shall be ineligible for future entry and all previous entries shall be removed.
- Deer taken and checked at an Official WV Game Checking Station in previous years may be scored and hunters will receive a certificate if they meet minimum requirements and submit a signed Fair Chase Affidavit.
- All entries must be officially scored and all documentation finalized by March 15, of the following year.