2012-2013 MigratoryBird Hunting Regulations
- All licensed hunters (including lifetime and senior citizens) must
possess a valid HIP registration card to hunt any migratory
- Youth waterfowl hunting season is open to youth ages 15 and
younger for taking ducks, geese, coots, gallinules and mergansers.
Youth hunters must be accompanied by a licensed adult age 21 or
older. The accompanying adult may not hunt or possess a firearm.
- It is lawful to hunt waterfowl on major waterways, lakes, and
reservoirs of the state during the gun season for deer should
the waterfowl season be open.
- Only nontoxic shot size T or smaller approved by the U.S.
Fish and Wildlife Service may be used or be in the hunter’s
possession while hunting waterfowl.
- McClintic Wildlife Management Area
- Hunting hours for waterfowl within the controlled waterfowl
hunting area will be from legal shooting time until 12:00
noon (prevailing time) Oct. 1-13, 2012 (except Sundays).
- Waterfowl hunting in the controlled hunt area will be by
permit only. This area is designated by signs, and includes
Ponds 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23,
36, 39 and 40. Applications for a permit must be received
at the Division of Natural Resources, Route 1, Box 484, Point
Pleasant, West Virginia 25550, by Sept. 1, 2012.
- Concurrent hunting is prohibited in the controlled
waterfowl hunting area Oct. 1-13, 2012.
- Green Bottom Wildlife Management Area
- Hunting hours for waterfowl will be from legal shooting
time until noon during the first split of the waterfowl
season, Oct. 1-13, 2012 (except Sunday).
- Waterfowl hunting will be by permit only. Permits will
be issued at the area headquarters between 5 a.m. and 7
a.m. the first two days and between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. the
remaining days of the season, Oct. 1-13, 2012.
- Concurrent hunting is prohibited Oct. 1-13, 2012.
- Deed restrictions prohibit all hunting, including waterfowl, at
Warden Lake Wildlife Management Area.
WHAT’S NEW FOR 2012-2013
- All duck seasons will have a concurrent goose season.
- Gallinule hunting is permitted only during the first
and last segments of the duck season.
Shooting hours for dove are from noon to sunset on opening day of the first segment and from one-half hour before
sunrise to sunset during the remainder of the season.
Shooting hours for rails, snipe, woodcock and waterfowl are
from one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
Waterfowl hunting is prohibited on Sundays except on
privately owned lakes, ponds or impoundments and private
land in those counties where Sunday hunting has not been
prohibited by local election.
National Wildlife Refuges
Rules and Regulations for hunting on National Wildlife
Refuges may be obtained from:
Ohio River Islands NWR
3982 Waverly Road • Williamstown, WV 26187 • (304) 375-2923
Canaan Valley NWR
6263 Appalachian Highway • Davis, WV 26260 • (304) 866-3858
Many game birds are banded with leg bands and other markers
annually in North America. Please report any such birds to the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 1-800-327-BAND (2263) during
regular business hours or online at www.reportband.gov.