Summary of Changes
2013-2014 Hunting Regulations
- Youth Small Game Season has been eliminated and the Youth squirrel season has been reinstated and will be September 7, 2013. See page 30.
- The daily bag limit for deer has increased and up to two deer may be taken per day during any deer season, but only one antlered buck may be taken in a day. The first deer does not have to be legally checked at an official game check station prior to harvesting the second deer in the same day. See season bag limits pages 13-18.
- All private land in counties having a firearms antlerless deer season (Class N or NN) will be open October 24-26, November 25 – December 7, December 19-21 and December 28-31. All public lands having an antlerless deer season will be open November 25 – December 7, December 19-21 and December 28-31. Bag limits vary among counties but will be either one or three antlerless deer. See pages 13-18.
- Fall wild turkey hunting season has been increased in 2013 with 15 counties open October 12-19; 13 counties open October 12-19 and October 28 - November 2; and 14 counties open October 12-19 and October 28 - November 16. See page 33.
- Black bear gun hunting seasons in 2013 include 16 counties or parts thereof open September 21-27; eight counties open October 7-11; 19 counties open November 25 – December 7 by permit only on private land during the Buck Season and 10 counties open November 25 - December 7 without permit during the Buck Firearms Season, and all 55 counties open December 9-31. The daily bag limit is one bear per day with a season bag limit of two bears, provided at least one bear comes from Boone, Fayette, Kanawha, Logan, McDowell, Mingo, Raleigh or Wyoming counties. See pages 38-39.
- Resident Apprentice Hunting and Trapping Licenses (Class AH and AHJ) and nonresident Apprentice Hunting and Trapping Licenses (Class AAH and AAHJ) are available to those individuals who have never had a valid base hunting license. Prior completion of a hunter education course is not required to purchase an Apprentice Hunting and Trapping License, but holders of one of these licenses must be accompanied and directly supervised by a licensed adult. See pages 7 and 42.