- Black bear archery and crossbow season is Sept. 24 – December 31, 2022.
- Black bear gun seasons – A special September and October bear firearms season and a bear firearms season running concurrent with the deer firearms season in select counties will again be in place for 2022. There are no permit only counties for any bear firearms season in 2022. Additionally, a concurrent antlerless deer and bear season will take place on private and public land in 42 counties or parts thereof from October 20-23. Please consult the 2022-2023 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary for additional details.
- A legislative rule was approved during the 2016 legislative session which requires all successful bear hunters to submit a first premolar tooth to the DNR by January 31 of the year following the harvest.
Q. As a WV resident, do I need any license to bear hunt on my own property?
No, but if you decide to hunt on your neighbor’s property (private or public), you need the appropriate hunting licenses.
Q. Is bear hunting legal during the antlerless and muzzleloader deer seasons in December?
This depends on the county you want to hunt in.
Q. If I want to bear hunt on Nathaniel Mountain or Short Mountain WMAs, am I required to apply for a permit?
No, the special permit season for bear dog hunters was discontinued in 2016.
Q. What is the bag and season limits on black bears?
The daily bag limit is one (1) bear per day with a season bag limit of two (2) bears, provided at least one (1) bear comes from Boone, Fayette, Kanawha, Logan, McDowell, Mingo, Nicholas, Raleigh, or Wyoming counties.
Q. Is it legal to hunt bears during the buck firearms season?
This depends on the county you want to hunt in. There are 42 counties or parts thereof that are open to buck firearm hunting will have a bear season on both public and private land where prior application for a permit is not required. All bear hunters must possess a Bear Damage Stamp (DS) to hunt bears, except hunters exempt from having to purchase one, i.e., resident landowners.
BEAR SEASONS – YOUTH/CLASS Q/CLASS XS BEAR SEASON
• A special Youth/Class Q/Class XS bear season will be open Oct. 15-16, 2022 on public and private lands in the 51 counties open to firearms deer hunting season. The use of dogs is prohibited. See page 36 of the 2022-2023 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary.
BEAR SEASONS – URBAN ARCHERY/CROSSBOW DEER/BEAR SEASON
• Approved homeowner’s associations, incorporated cities, towns and villages may participate in the Split urban deer/bear archery/crossbow season which runs from Sep. 3 – Dec. 31, 2022 and Jan. 9 – 31, 2023.
• The season bag limit is one (1) bear.
• A DS Stamp is required, except for underage resident and resident landowners hunting on their own land.
Your Spring Fishing Guide to West Virginia
Tips, best fishing spots and helpful reminders to get you ready for your spring fishing adventures in Almost Heaven, West Virginia. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or new to the sport, May is a great time to go fishing in…
Your guide to spring turkey season in West Virginia
Hunting safety tips, essential gear and best hunting locations to help you enjoy turkey hunting in West Virginia It’s been a long winter, but spring is here and so is one of the most exciting events in West Virginia’s hunting…
WVDNR announces top teams, archers for 18th Archery in the Schools state tournament
More than 750 students from nearly 70 schools participated in the annual tournament. CHARLESTON, W.VA. — The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources announced on Thursday results from the 18th WVDNR Archery in the Schools State Tournament. The top high school…
9 go-to lakes and streams to help you plan your Gold Rush trip
Nine easy-to-access Gold Rush stocking locations where you can cast your line for a last minute trip. With 50,000 golden rainbow trout, 68 stockings and a chance to win a lifetime fishing license, the West Virginia Gold Rush is the…
7 bucket list items to help you plan your Gold Rush trip
Explore West Virginia’s natural beauty and catch a prized golden rainbow trout with our ultimate Gold Rush fishing trip bucket list. The sixth annual West Virginia Gold Rush is March 28 – April 8. This exciting event offers anglers an…
Wildlife Resources Report: Sectional Meetings
2023 Sectional Meeting Regulation Proposals Questionnaire On this Feb. 15, 2023 edition of the WVDNR Wildlife Resources Report, Chris Lawrence of WV Metro News talks to WVDNR Wildlife Section Chief Paul Johansen about the annual sectional meetings on March 13…
Wildlife Resources Report: Deer Project
On this Feb. 15, 2023 edition of the WVDNR Wildlife Resources Report, Chris Lawrence of WV Metro News talks to Brett Skelley about a study on whitetail deer in three areas of the state to gauge what’s killing the deer…
Archery in the Schools provides inclusive program for kids to learn valuable life skills
After two years of not having an in-person state Archery in the Schools tournament to look forward to, students in West Virginia finally have something to be excited about. The state Archery in the Schools program, which returned to in-person…
French Creek Freddie Facts To Get You Ready For Groundhog Day
You might know French Creek Freddie as West Virginia’s most popular weather-predicting groundhog, but do you know the story of how Freddie started forecasting or how he got his name? Get ready for Groundhog Day celebration at the West Virginia…
Five ways you can help protect wild woodland box turtles
When was the last time you saw a box turtle in the wild? Did you, like so many of us, enjoy watching its slow, steady plod through the grass? Were you treated to the sight of a turtle stretching its…
WVDNR highlights habitat and stream restoration project in Monongahela Forest
GLADY, W.VA. — More than 2,000 acres of wildlife habitat in the Monongahela National Forest is being restored thanks to a collaborative project between the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources and United States Forest Service. The work is being…
What you can do to help West Virginia’s official butterfly
The next time you notice a monarch butterfly, with its brilliant orange and black wings rimmed with white dots, take a good long appreciative look. Monarchs used to number in the billions. Since 1976, the world population of monarch butterflies…