The Class Q hunting program offers expanded vehicular public land access and special privileges to hunters with disabilities who meet application requirements established in West Virginia Chapter 20 Natural Resources Law. This program started as a partnership between the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests, the Monongahela National Forest and the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. In following years, the program was expanded to include multiple state wildlife management areas statewide.

The Class Q permit holder is entitled to access by vehicle a number of limited-access gated roads on public lands in West Virginia that are open to hunting. In conjunction with a regular hunting license (where applicable), this permit allows for hunting out of a motorized vehicle with the engine turned off and allows another person who is at least 16 years old to assist a Class Qhunter. The assistant may not hunt while he or she is assisting the Class Q hunter and may not hunt from the vehicle. Only the Class Q hunter and assistant may be occupants of the vehicle.

Those hunters with permanent and irreversible respiratory, cardiovascular, and/or lower extremity use limitations may be eligible for a Class Q special use permit through the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. Applications must be certified by a licensed physician to be considered for approval by the agency. Application forms for the Class Q permit are available at all WVDNR offices or on the online WVDNR licensing and game check system.

Find a Class Q Hunting Opportunity Near You

To find your nearest Class Q hunting opportunity, contact your local WVDNR district office by telephone or use the DNR’s online hunting map tool. Designated Class Q roads on public lands are shown in purple on the map. Class Q hunters may also hunt on private land with written permission, or along any public land access road provided the vehicle is not parked on the road right-of-way, in front of a closed gate or within 500 feet of any dwelling or residence.

Monongahela National Forest Class Q Access Roads

Cheat Ranger District, Parsons, W.Va., (304) 478-3251

  • Brushy Fork (Forest Road 973), Tucker County
  • Five Lick (Forest Road 153/153A), Randolph County

Greenbrier Ranger District, Bartow, W.Va., (304) 456-3335

  • Little Beech Mountain (Forest Road 385, 183B), Randolph County
  • Span Oak (Forest Road 224), Pocahontas County

Gauley Ranger District, Richwood, W.Va., (304) 846-2695

  • Frosty Gap (Forest Road 731), Pocahontas County
  • Buckeye Branch (Forest Road 273), Webster County

Marlinton Ranger District, Marlinton, W.Va., (304) 799-4334

  • Crooked Fork (Forest Road 251), Pocahontas County
  • Marlin Mountain (Forest Road 300), Pocahontas County

White Sulphur Springs Ranger District, White Sulphur Springs, W.Va., (304) 536-2144

  • Panther Ridge (Forest Road 298), Greenbrier County
  • Bear Track (Forest Road 882), Greenbrier County

George Washington/Jefferson National Forests Class Q Access Roads

North River Ranger District, Harrisonburg, Va., (540) 432-0187

  • Dry River Hollow (Forest Road 151H), Pendleton County

State WMA Class Q Access Roads

DNR District 1, Farmington, W.Va., (304) 825-6787

  • Hillcrest WMA, Hancock County – 2,212 acres
  • Lewis Wetzel WMA, Wetzel County – 13,590 acres
  • Little Indian Creek WMA, Monongalia County – 1,036 acres

DNR District 2, Romney, W.Va., (304) 822-3551

  • Sleepy Creek WMA, Morgan/Berkeley counties – 22,928 acres

DNR District 3, French Creek, W.Va., (304) 924-6211

  • Burnsville Lake WMA, Braxton County – 12,579 acres
  • Elk River WMA, Braxton County – 18,225 acres
  • Stonewall Jackson Lake WMA, Lewis County – 18,289 acres

DNR District 4, Beckley, W.Va., (304) 256-6947

  • Bluestone Lake WMA, Summers County – 18,019 acres
  • Beury Mountain WMA, Fayette County – 10,534 acres

DNR District 5, Alum Creek, W.Va., (304) 756-1023

  • McClintic WMA, Mason County – 3,655 acres
  • Beech Fork Lake WMA*, Cabell County – 7,531

DNR District 6, Parkersburg, W.Va., (304) 420-4550

  • Hughes River WMA, Ritchie County – 10,000 acres

* WMA has Class Q -accessible hunting area only. No gated road.

Rules for Using Class Q Access Roads

When hunting within a designated area, Class Q hunters may hunt from a stationary vehicle with the engine turned off, and the vehicle may not be parked on any public road or highway right-of-way. The permittee may be accompanied — or in the case of national forest lands, must be accompanied — by one assistant at least 16 years of age inside the vehicle, but the assistant is not allowed to hunt from or outside the vehicle while assisting a Class Q permittee.

Class Q permit hunters must obey all other hunting rules and regulations while behind gates. No ATVs or UTVs may be used in national forests or state wildlife management areas and hunting with bait is prohibited on public lands. All proper licenses and stamps along with the Class Q permit must be in the hunter’s possession while he or she is hunting. Hunters on national forest lands must follow additional rules. The Class Q program on national forest lands is authorized through a Special Land Use Permit granted to the WVDNR by the U.S. Forest Service.