Q. Is the buck season a hunter’s choice season?

No. Hunters must possess a valid Class NN stamp to hunt antlerless deer. Hunters may take two (2) deer per day (if they have the appropriate licenses and/or permits); however, only one (1) antlered deer may be taken on any given day.

Q. I’m a nonresident and I am coming to WV to hunt deer. Does my 14 year old son need a license? 

Yes. All nonresidents (except those who have a WV lifetime license), regardless of age, are required to possess a nonresident license. Both resident and nonresident hunters born on or after Jan. 1, 1975, must show proof of completing a certified hunter education course prior to purchasing a base license. Nonresident hunters between the ages of 8 and 17 may purchase a nonresident junior sportsman license (XXJ) for $16 along with a CS/LE stamp for $13 to take one (1) buck gun, one (1) archery or crossbow, and one (1) muzzleloader deer (during the traditional seasons). Additional licenses are required to hunt antlerless deer and to take additional archery and firearm deer.

Q. I live in Ohio and I own property in Marion County. Can I hunt without a license on my own property?

No. Nonresidents, even though they own and pay taxes on property in WV, cannot hunt on the property they own in WV without first obtaining a nonresident license.

Q. I am a nonresident and possess Class E, CS/LE stamps. Am I required to purchase a Class UU stamp if I substitute my bow or crossbow for a gun during a regular gun season? 

No. Except that a bow may not be substituted for a gun during the muzzleloader season.

Q. I purchased a Class X license in January and moved to PA in June. Can I still hunt as a WV resident in November?

Yes. A resident, who purchases an annual license during the year and holds a valid resident license when he or she moves out of the state, may continue to use the resident license for the rest of the calendar year. Only Class DDFL (fishing) and Class V (hunting and fishing) permits must be surrendered within 10 days of leaving the state.

Q. I am a nonresident and only want to hunt bear, what licenses do I need?

Nonresidents who plan to hunt only bear must purchase a nonresident bear hunting license Class EE ($162), a Bear Damage Stamp DS ($10), and a Conservation/Law Enforcement Stamp ($13), unless they hold a Class DT license. A Class I ($2) stamp is needed for hunting on a National Forest. To hunt other species, a nonresident must have a Class E ($119) license and appropriate stamps.

Q. What is the CS/LE Stamp? 

The Conservation/Law Enforcement Stamp (CS/LE) is required of all nonresident hunters, anglers and trappers along with a base license that applies to the type of hunting (i.e., Class E, EE, or H). Funds derived from the sale will pay for expenses relating to general enforcement of state laws pertaining to the conservation of fish, wildlife and/or law enforcement education programs.

Q. I am a handicapped nonresident hunter. Can I participate in the special Class Q hunts for deer in WV? 

Yes, provided you qualify for and obtain a Class Q hunting permit from the state of WV and purchase the appropriate licenses (i.e., Class E and Class CS/LE).


Q. How many deer can I kill on my own property? 

A resident landowner on his own property can kill the same number of deer as a licensed hunter and no more. A hunter (licensee or landowner) cannot exceed the number of deer allowed in the respective season.

Q. I bought a Class X Hunting and Fishing license and own property in Brooke County. Can I kill my first deer as a licensed hunter and then kill my additional deer as a landowner? 

Yes. However, the additional deer must be killed on your own land.

Q. I bought a Class X Hunting and Fishing license and own property in Brooke County. Can I kill my first buck during the buck-firearms season as a landowner and then kill an additional deer on a Class X license on my buddy’s property? 

Yes. The hunter may kill his first deer as a landowner (fulfilling his RG privilege) and his additional deer on his Class X license.

Q. I am a West Virginia resident; can I hunt without a license on my resident parents’ property?

Yes. WV resident children may hunt on their resident parents’ property without a license. Resident parents may hunt on their resident children’s property without a license.

Q. Are landowners exempt from field tagging game? 

No. A landowner or hunter must complete a field tag before moving the animal from where it was killed, but now has the option of attaching the tag to the deer or staying with the animal and keeping the completed field tag on their person. Immediately upon arriving at their residence, camp, hunting lodge, vehicle or vessel the field tag must be attached to the carcass and remain there until the animal is retagged with a DNR-issued game tag number.

Q. Does a resident under the age of 15 have to be accompanied by a licensed hunter or equivalent when hunting on his resident parents’ property?

Yes, unless the person under the age of 15 actually owns the land.



Q. I now reside in Ohio and possess a West Virginia lifetime license; do I need a Waterfowl Stamp?

Yes, a federal migratory waterfowl stamp and a harvest information program (HIP) card are required.

Q. I now reside in Ohio and possess a West Virginia lifetime license and want to antlerless deer hunt. What stamp do I buy, and can I hunt in counties that are only open to residents? 

You buy a resident Class N stamp and you can hunt in counties open to residents or nonresidents; however, to hunt in one of the limited wildlife management areas, state forests or counties, you must have been selected and issued an eligibility card in addition to the Class N stamp.


Q. What licenses does a nonresident military person have to purchase? 

All licenses that a nonresident has to obtain.

Q. I’m on military leave and when I joined the military, I was a resident of PA. Can I hunt in WV without a license? 


Q. I’m on military leave, and when I joined the military, I was a resident of West Virginia. Can I hunt in WV without a license? 

Yes. However, he/she must purchase the additional resident stamps (i.e., A1, N, RG, RM and RB) that are not included with free license privileges. Active military leave or furlough papers must be carried in lieu of a hunting license.


Q. Is a person who holds a Class Q permit exempt from buying other licenses?

No. The Class Q permittee is required to purchase all pertinent resident or nonresident licenses required for the hunting they wish to do.

Q. Can a hunter who possesses a concealed weapons permit carry a concealed weapon while hunting?

 Individuals who possess a valid concealed carrying permit may carry a concealed handgun while hunting for the purposes of self defense only.

Q. Can my 16 year old son participate in the youth spring turkey season?

Yes. Youth hunters (ages 8 to 17) may participate in this season. However, all licensing requirements remain in effect for ages 15-17.

Featured Articles

Your Spring Fishing Guide to West Virginia

Tips, best fishing spots and helpful reminders to get you ready for your spring fishing adventures in Almost Heaven, West Virginia. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or new to the sport, May is a great time to go fishing in…

Your guide to spring turkey season in West Virginia

Hunting safety tips, essential gear and best hunting locations to help you enjoy turkey hunting in West Virginia It’s been a long winter, but spring is here and so is one of the most exciting events in West Virginia’s hunting…

WVDNR announces top teams, archers for 18th Archery in the Schools state tournament

More than 750 students from nearly 70 schools participated in the annual tournament. CHARLESTON, W.VA. — The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources announced on Thursday results from the 18th WVDNR Archery in the Schools State Tournament. The top high school…

9 go-to lakes and streams to help you plan your Gold Rush trip

Nine easy-to-access Gold Rush stocking locations where you can cast your line for a last minute trip. With 50,000 golden rainbow trout, 68 stockings and a chance to win a lifetime fishing license, the West Virginia Gold Rush is the…

7 bucket list items to help you plan your Gold Rush trip

Explore West Virginia’s natural beauty and catch a prized golden rainbow trout with our ultimate Gold Rush fishing trip bucket list. The sixth annual West Virginia Gold Rush is March 28 – April 8. This exciting event offers anglers an…

Wildlife Resources Report: Sectional Meetings

2023 Sectional Meeting Regulation Proposals Questionnaire On this Feb. 15, 2023 edition of the WVDNR Wildlife Resources Report, Chris Lawrence of WV Metro News talks to WVDNR Wildlife Section Chief Paul Johansen about the annual sectional meetings on March 13…

Wildlife Resources Report: Deer Project

On this Feb. 15, 2023 edition of the WVDNR Wildlife Resources Report, Chris Lawrence of WV Metro News talks to Brett Skelley about a study on whitetail deer in three areas of the state to gauge what’s killing the deer…

Archery in the Schools provides inclusive program for kids to learn valuable life skills

After two years of not having an in-person state Archery in the Schools tournament to look forward to, students in West Virginia finally have something to be excited about. The state Archery in the Schools program, which returned to in-person…

French Creek Freddie Facts To Get You Ready For Groundhog Day

You might know French Creek Freddie as West Virginia’s most popular weather-predicting groundhog, but do you know the story of how Freddie started forecasting or how he got his name? Get ready for Groundhog Day celebration at the West Virginia…

Five ways you can help protect wild woodland box turtles

When was the last time you saw a box turtle in the wild? Did you, like so many of us, enjoy watching its slow, steady plod through the grass? Were you treated to the sight of a turtle stretching its…

WVDNR highlights habitat and stream restoration project in Monongahela Forest

GLADY, W.VA. — More than 2,000 acres of wildlife habitat in the Monongahela National Forest is being restored thanks to a collaborative project between the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources and United States Forest Service. The work is being…

What you can do to help West Virginia’s official butterfly

The next time you notice a monarch butterfly, with its brilliant orange and black wings rimmed with white dots, take a good long appreciative look. Monarchs used to number in the billions. Since 1976, the world population of monarch butterflies…